Thursday, July 07, 2011

ticking

My mom bought this chair for $20 bucks.  It needs help... serious help.


She's on the hunt for some fabric to recover it.  She asked me to pick something out!  I instantly thought that a ticking stripe would be fun.  Ticking stripes make me think of a relaxed, comfortable beach house-- they aren't fussy, they provide a casual feel, and the fabric is cheap!!  Let me share some inspiration...

Ticking is available in many shades and styles...

Look at this cute settee-- it's a more traditional piece of furniture pared with some modern furnishings... it looks amazing!

It looks pretty awesome on a headboard...

Or in an office.

I am quite certain that I could enjoy drinking my morning coffee here every day...

And maybe I'd follow it with an afternoon nap here...

Check out the ruffles on this shower curtain.  Definitely something you couldn't purchase at your local Walmart :)

What's not to love about this?  Ticking striped wallpaper, perfectly folded and organized linens... beautiful.  I would love to have a linen closet just like this!

Instead of ordering the fabric online my mom and I decided to hit up a local Saskatoon fabric source-- Century Textile & Sewing Supply.  If you live in the area and have sewing/upholstery projects on the go you need to check out this store.  They don't have the biggest supply of fabric-- but if you're committed to digging around for a while you can find some good stuff!  They do have a great supply of upholstery supplies and their staff are very helpful.  So after digging around for a while we found this:


It's a classic black and white ticking stripe from Premier Prints.  Century was selling the fabric for $9.99 a yard-- the same price you'd pay if you ordered it online directly.  I'm pretty excited to see how it all turns out!  And I'm also excited that I won't have to do all the work :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course you found a project to do on your holidays :) -- anj

flowers2boys said...

Yup...a fun store for sure!

Really liking the ticking idea for the chair... you are so talented

Jeff and Jocelyn said...

definitely my favorite fabric store in the city! Love their flannel section as well, many a baby blankets made from there very cute flannel. Have you been to Prarie Chicks in Hague as well? Really great fabric, more pricey but some different styles!

Bonnie said...

I was thinking the exact same thing as Anj :) Leave it to the queen of DIY to find a project to work on during her holidays :)
Love the ticking stripe. Can't wait to see how it turns out!