Monday, January 31, 2011

It's About Time

This weekend I decided to ignore my messy kitchen and forget about the toy explosion in the living room.  Instead, I've been working on the wingback chair I found on craigslist.  I had been holding off on starting the project because I wanted the office to be completed so I could work in a peaceful, toy-free, kid-free environment.  With staples, tools, and tacks flying everywhere, it's really not a great place for kids.  Once they were sleeping the party started!


Doug graciously offered to be my assistant this weekend.  We started by measuring every piece before the chair stripping began.  I handed Doug my cloth tape measure-- he took it with some apprehension.  I guess it's not as manly as the tape measures he's used to using.  But by the end of the night he was throwing it around his neck and talking about how much the guys on the job site would love it (although I don't think he took it with him this morning).  I put up with his antics because he really is the best person for the job.  As Doug measured away (very precisely-- let me tell you)  I recorded the measurements of each piece so that I will have an accurate idea of how much fabric to purchase for the chair.  I'm a rookie at this, so I am not about to guess at how much to order-- better to be safe than sorry!

Next step-- picture taking.  I pulled out my camera and took detailed pictures of how the chair is put together-- every seam, tuft, and tuck has been thoroughly photographed.



And as the pieces came off, I kept taking pictures and took detailed notes to document how it was put together.  Doug did a great job as my assistant.  When my hand and shoulder grew weary of staple removal-- he took over with much enthusiasm.


Up next-- finish stripping the chair (I figure it's about half done), calculate how much fabric I'll need and then make a decision on what to order!

8 comments:

Leanne said...

Ooh, this is so interesting to me! Can't wait to see the finished product. Can I come over for detailed sewing instructions?? :)

Elissa said...

You bet Leanne!

Erica said...

exciting!

Carol said...

You are very ambitious to even attempt such a project!

Melissa said...

Cannot wait to see the finished product!
P.S. Love the blue lamp in the background!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

Very cool! I love hearing how you and Doug work together. Tim and I are so similar, must be the carpenter in them. My favorite phrase from him while helping with my last sewing was "...if only i could cut this (material) for you on the table saw it would be so much more accurate!" :) Its such a blessing to have willing and helpful husband.

Janice said...

Very interested to see how this turns out! You are very brave. I just leave the upholstering to my mother in law. Also, I love the finished study! There is just something so pleasing about built-ins. You did a marvelous job!

busymomplants said...

i love your sewing talent....great luck on your "helpful assistant"....
Just a quick tip....If you plan to "do" the chair in the same style your pieces are your pattern for your new fabric!!!(almost...with the exception they may have been trimmed even after stapling!)Gotta give my guy the credit for our dining chair makeover last winter!!! greta