Monday, January 07, 2008

Caleb's First Christmas

This year Caleb had a busy first Christmas. First of all, we headed down to Vancouver to spend some time with the Toews family. It was nice to just relax and hang out at the hotel, and we even went on the Christmas train at Stanley Park (I don't think Caleb enjoyed it too much-- he cried through most of it!)
Here's Caleb and I getting ready for the train ride. Wide eyed and mystified.


He got to wear his brand new peacoat from Rachelle. Lucky kid.


Auntie Kristi and Auntie Rosanna joined us on the train ride.

As soon as we got back from Vancouver we unpacked, did some laundry and then quickly repacked our suitcases because we were heading to Saskatchewan.

Caleb taking it easy, watching some TV while Mom and Dad are frantically trying to pack.

This was Caleb's first trip to the farm. I just love spending time there during the winter. It may be cold, but it's so crisp and clean. Winter on the farm also brings with it some fun activities that you just can't do in Abbotsford. My little brother had the bright idea to have races with my old car. It's pretty beat up, and was just sitting around collecting dust, so Joel took out the tractor and plowed a race track for it in the field. So, one afternoon we had time trials through the track. After getting stuck multiple times, pulling E-brake slides around the corners, and overheating the car a few times, Doug managed to pull ahead into first place, but only by 2 tenths of a second. I was close behind.


As the one and only grandchild, Caleb stole the show. He got more presents than anyone else, although he wasn't sure where to start when it came to opening them.


Who ate Grandpa's chocolate bar? I haven't seen it (says Caleb).


Caleb also got to spend some time hanging out with his Uncle Joel. After several days together he's decided that he wants to be just like him when he grows up-- since he sure is pretty cool. Lookin good Joel!

Here he is spending some time with Auntie Angie and soon to be Uncle Tyler.

Sisters reunited once again.
Caleb decided that he enjoyed playing speed scrabble. Learning to spell already.

After just over a week of fun in Saskatchewan, it was time to head home. Here's Caleb saying goodbye to Grandpa at the Airport.


Home sweet Home. We'll be back soon!

13 comments:

Keith - Kristen said...

What a handsome little man in that coat. So glad you had a good time with your family back on the farm. And how fun to trash around your old car?! Sounds like a blast!

KDees said...

How [comforting, refreshing, relaxing, peaceful] to spend the holidays with loved ones. Maybe it wasn't so relaxing or peaceful with a five month old, but what I'm trying to say is that I can imagine your spirits lifting as you spent time with your family, just in light of the past half a year. And, what a cutie your little boy is!!

Dan and Lynn said...

Those are great pictures, Elissa! Sounds like you had lots of fun in Sask with the family. Glad you got to spend time with them over Christmas!

Bonnie said...

I'm quite sure that Caleb is one of THE cutest kids I've ever seen! Such great pictures!!
Glad that your Christmas was a good one in spite of the busyness. I absolutely love how peaceful & beautiful your farm pictures are. Makes me miss Saskatchewan quite a bit :)

Rick and Sandy said...

You really are looking very beautiful Elissa. One would never know all that you've gone thru this past year by looking thru your pictures. Trusting that His healing hand is slowly working miracles...

Creating memories for Caleb spending special time with his Grandparents; I'm sure they were quite blessed to have you, Doug and Caleb celebrate Christmas together.

All the best for the New Year.

Sandy

{ as we know it } said...

You've got some great pics from your holidays! Luke & my favorites are Caleb with grammpa's giant choclate bar, Caleb chillin' in from of the TV, Caleb & Grampa Dave @ the airport ... basically your son has stolen the show!
It was SO good to see you this Christmas ... even just for a little while. Please let me know when you're coming out in Feb, cuz I would definitally want to see you again ... maybe you and Caleb can come hang out @ my place for an afternoon or something? Or we could just do coffee again ... whatever works for you. And then you can meet my little bundle! YAY!
Take care, girl ... love ya!

Yvonne said...

What a joyous Christmas amongst the pain. Caleb is such a handsome little man - glad you were able to spend some time with your family Elissa - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love that little jacket and I love the last picture too.
I am glad you had a good Christmas. Isaiah was given more gifts than anyone else this year too. He enjoyed the wrapping paper and boxes more than the gifts.
I think that's fun that you and Doug were racing. What a fun memory for you two to remember.

gord and janice said...

Caleb is too cute! Hope you had a wonderful time with your family. Missed having a Thomas Cook breaky with you guys :( Thinkin of you often.

tan said...

You don't know me but I'm Kirsten's cousin. I have enjoyed reading you blog and I have just got to say that your son is absolutely adorable!!

Sarah said...

How wonderful to be able to spend time with your family at Christmas. The car racing sounds like a hoot! Gotta love prairie life :D As for Caleb, he looks sooo big in his car seat. Wow, he's going to outgrow it before you know it!

Charlotte said...

Caleb is so cute!! and he's getting so big :D ...looking more like a little man every day! Loved the pictures! Glad you could have time to spend with family :D

Kelsie-Lynn said...

He is just getting cutier and cutier! I love the chocolate bar picture! Too cute! Looks like a good Christmas was had. Next time you are out I would love to catch coffee at Sabines in town if you are up to just let me know. Thinking of you often!